The Little Learners Assessment of Reading Skills (LLARS) assesses students’ skills and knowledge to inform teaching and identify the specific needs of each student. The LLARS will identify, in diagnostic detail, what students know and to what level they can apply their skills and knowledge to reading. The LLARS comprises four subtests in total:
- Subtest 1: Grapheme–phoneme knowledge
- Subtest 2: Decoding nonwords
- Subtest 3: Reading Heart Words (optional)
- Subtest 4: Reading unseen decodable texts The unseen decodable stories assess the accuracy, fluency and comprehension of the student at each Little Learners Love Literacy® stage.
This pack provides everything you need and no extraneous materials:
- Assessment Manual: Your Assessment Manual contains an introduction to the LLARS; detailed administration and marking guidance for each subtest; teacher forms; and a QR code to access the digital downloads.
- Assessment Materials: This is a laminated flipbook containing the assessment materials for students. It contains each of the 4 subtests.
- Marking cheat sheet
- Digital downloads: Including A new set of unseen texts (Stages 1–7.5) provided for students who are taking longer to master each stage; PDF Teacher forms; LLARS Class Record (Excel spreadsheet) to record and analyse your class data for the full year.
Professional Learning Support
In addition to the manual, teachers can also access professional learning support, including:
- ‘Assessing Reading with the LLARS’ webinar
- Little Learners Love Literacy® Blog
- ‘How to use the LLARS’ page of our website, for instruction and video examples
- Little Learners Love Literacy® YouTube channel videos